Skip to content

7 Things You Didn’t Know Are Poisonous

Did you know that many everyday items are poisonous? It is important to be aware of these things, especially if you have small children or pets. This post will discuss seven items you probably didn’t know are poisonous, from household items to outdoor plants. If you are ever in doubt about whether or not something is toxic, it is always best to err on the side of caution and avoid it. Keep reading for more information!

What To Do If Something Poisonous Is Consumed

Poisonous

If you or someone you know has consumed something poisonous, it is crucial to act quickly. The first step is to call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. This number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Be prepared to give the operator information, such as the person’s age, weight, and symptoms. The operator will then be able to provide you with specific instructions on what to do next.

Sometimes, they may instruct you to go to the hospital for treatment. However, in many cases, the Poison Control Center will be able to give you instructions on how to treat the person at home. If you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to call and speak with another operator. By acting quickly and following the instructions of the Poison Control Center, you can help to ensure that the person receives the necessary treatment and makes a full recovery.

Things You Didn’t Know Are Poisonous

You probably know that things like bleach and cleaning products can be poisonous if ingested. However, many other household items can be just as dangerous. This section will outline seven of the different things you may not know are poisonous.

Raw Kidney Beans

Poisonous

Raw kidney beans contain a toxic compound called phytohemagglutinin, which is destroyed by cooking. Symptoms of poisoning include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In severe cases, there may also be kidney damage. Eating as little as four raw kidney beans can cause these symptoms. Cooking the beans destroys the toxin and makes them safe to eat.

However, it’s vital to ensure that you cook the beans thoroughly. You may not destroy the toxin if you do not cook them long enough. As a result, it’s best to err on the side of caution and only eat cooked kidney beans.

Peace Lily Plant

Poisonous

The peace lily plant is a beautiful houseplant popular for its easy care requirements. However, many people don’t realize that the peace lily plant is poisonous. All parts of the plant are toxic to humans and animals and can cause serious health problems if ingested. The toxins in the plant can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

In severe cases, they can lead to respiratory failure and death. If you suspect someone has ingested a peace lily plant, it is crucial to seek medical help immediately. With prompt treatment, most people make a full recovery. However, it is always best to err on the side of caution and keep this plant out of reach of children and pets.

Batteries

Poisonous

Batteries are essential, powering everything from phones to cars. However, they can also be quite dangerous, especially to small children. When a battery is swallowed, the acidic chemicals inside can burn through the stomach lining, causing serious damage. In some cases, the chemicals may leak out of the battery and cause poisoning.

Swallowing a battery is not the only way to be poisoned by them; inhaling the fumes from a burning battery can also be harmful. The best way to avoid being poisoned by batteries is to keep them out of reach of children and dispose of them properly. If you think someone has swallowed a battery, it is important to seek medical help immediately.

Non-Stick Pans

Poisonous

Cooking is a daily activity for many people, and non-stick pans are popular for ease of use. However, there is growing evidence that these pans may be poisonous. The coating on non-stick pans consists of a chemical called PFOA, which causes cancer in animals. When the pan is heated, PFOA is released into the air and can be inhaled or ingested.

Studies have found that levels of PFOA in the blood of Americans have doubled in the last decade, and it has been suggested that non-stick pans may be a significant source of exposure. In addition to the potential health risks, non-stick pans harm the environment.

PFOA is a persistent pollutant that does not break down in the environment and has been found in waterways and wildlife worldwide. As more information emerges about PFOA risks, it becomes clear that non-stick pans are not as safe as they seem.

Mothballs

Poisonous

Many people use mothballs to keep their clothes and homes free of moths, but few people realize how dangerous these seemingly innocuous balls can be. Mothballs contain naphthalene, a highly toxic substance to humans and animals. Inhaling the fumes from mothballs can cause headaches, nausea, and dizziness, while eating them can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and kidney damage.

In rare cases, exposure to mothballs can even be fatal. Because of their dangers, it’s important to use mothballs only in well-ventilated areas and to keep them out of reach of children and pets.

Air Freshener

Poisonous

While air fresheners may make your home smell nice, many contain chemicals that can harm your health. Some of these chemicals, such as phthalates and paradichlorobenzene, are endocrine disruptors, meaning they can interfere with the body’s hormones. Studies have linked exposure to these chemicals to various health problems, including reproductive difficulties, congenital disabilities, and cancer.

In addition, air fresheners often contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can cause headaches, nausea, and dizziness. Some VOCs contribute to liver and kidney damage. 

When selecting an air freshener, choose one free of harmful chemicals. Many natural air fresheners on the market use essential oils and other safe ingredients. These products are not only better for your health, but they also help to purify the air in your home.

Old Medication

Poisonous

If you have any old medication sitting in your medicine cabinet, you might want to think twice before taking it. Over time, medications can lose their potency and become poisonous. It’s important to remember that medication expiration dates are not set in stone. They are simply an estimate of how long the medication will remain effective. Depending on the drug, they can lose potency a year after expiration. And if they are in a warm or humid environment, they will degrade even faster.

If you take expired medication, you might not get the desired results. In worst-case scenarios, you could suffer serious side effects or even overdose. So if you have any old pills sitting around, dispose of them properly. And next time you go to the pharmacy, double-check the expiration dates on your prescription medications.

Be Mindful Of These Things You Didn’t Know Are Poisonous!

Don’t be surprised if you find some things on this list in your home. While they may seem harmless, it’s important to be aware of their potential risks. By taking some simple precautions, you can protect yourself, and your family from the things you didn’t know were poisonous. After all, the best way to avoid being poisoned is to educate yourself about the dangers.