Many plants in the US are dangerous to both pets and people. In this article, we will discuss some of the most common ones. Be careful placing the plants below in your home. On the ground, children and pets could easily reach the plant. Review the list below and do some rearranging in your home to make it safe for your children and pets.
Lily flowers are highly poisonous to both cats and dogs. If ingested, they can cause severe liver damage. They can also cause drooling, difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if your pet eats enough of them. These flowers are hazardous to cats because they are attracted to the water. You can quickly identify them by their bright flower heads that look similar to lilies.
Hemlock is also highly poisonous. All parts of this plant are potentially fatal if consumed, including the roots, seeds, and leaves. It also contains a toxin that can cause severe damage to your pet’s central nervous system and may lead to seizures and paralysis. Some common symptoms in your pet include vomiting, staggering, convulsions, and difficulty breathing.
Oleander is one of the most poisonous plants in the US. All parts of this plant are toxic, but the flowers and leaves are most dangerous. Your pet may experience difficulty breathing, abnormal heart rate, seizures, and even death if ingested. Oleander can also be fatal to humans, so keeping this plant away from pets and people is essential.
The Castor Bean Plant
The beans of this plant contain a toxin that can cause serious health problems, including diarrhea, vomiting, dehydration, and even death. Castor bean plants have large green leaves and red flowers.
It causes your pet to develop an itchy, red rash that can become severe and very uncomfortable for them. Pets typically develop this rash after direct contact with poison ivy, but they may also breathe it in if they come near a burning pile of leaves or brush during outdoor fires. If you suspect your pet has contracted poison ivy, wash their paws thoroughly and cleanse any areas on their body that has come into contact.
All parts of this plant are highly toxic to cats and dogs, including the flowers, seeds, and even stems. Foxglove contains a toxin that can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, irregular heart rate, and even death if your pet consumes enough of it.
Azaleas contain a substance called grayanotoxin which can cause drooling, vomiting, and even paralysis in dogs and horses if they eat enough of them. They must eat a large quantity of these plants to suffer from the side effects, but it is essential to keep them away from your pets just in case.
This berry contains a substance called phytolaccatoxin which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if swallowed by your dog or cat. If ingested, your pet will most likely develop symptoms within four to twelve hours.
Kalanchoe is a succulent plant that is popular in many homes. While it is not poisonous to humans, all parts of this plant are toxic to cats and dogs. Kalanchoe contains bufotenin, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even death if ingested by your pet.
It is essential to be aware of these plants’ dangers to our furry friends and take the necessary precautions to keep them safe. With a little bit of extra care, we can all enjoy beautiful gardens and landscapes without worrying about the potential harm that these plants may cause.