Skip to content

Plants To Keep Your Pets Away From

Many of you are proud owners of beautiful and green gardens, but do you know some common plants in your garden that might be toxic for your lovable pets? According to the Humane Society of the United States, more than 700 plants produce toxic substances that can cause harmful effects in animals. However, not all toxic plants are deadly; some merely cause indigestion or light reactions. Some plants may cause severe reactions like seizures, organ failure, coma, and even death. 

Daylilies 

While they are not toxic to dogs, many lilies, including daylilies, are highly toxic to cats. Any part of the plant in any quantity, if digested by a cat, can cause kidney failure. So, if your cat roams outside, you should keep lilies out of your garden. Also, do not bring lilies even for the flower vase on your dining table.

Hyacinth 

Garden owners love hyacinth for its fragrance and lush spring blooms. However, the bulbs in the plant are highly toxic for your pets. So, if your dog is curious and loves to dig, avoid planting hyacinth into your garden. 

Tulips And Daffodils 

The bulbs of tulips and daffodils are incredibly poisonous to cats and dogs. Do not plant these into your garden if your dog loves to roam and eat everything. These plants can cause symptoms like loss of appetite, heavy salivation, vomiting, tremors, diarrhea, low blood pressure, and cardiac arrhythmias.

English Ivy 

Yes, you got it right. The berries from English Ivy are highly toxic to pets if eaten. Moreover, the rest of this vining plant, including the leaves, are also poisonous to pets. Although you won’t often see pets eating Ivy, they are harmful if digested. So no matter how much you love that brick wall covered in Ivy, get rid of it to save your furry friends. If you think your pet has digested Ivy, look for symptoms like diarrhea, vomiting, hyper-salivation, and abdominal pain.

Yew 

Many good qualities of Yew have made it a popular landscaping shrub. However, the leaves, bark, and seeds of Yew will damage the nervous system of both dogs and cats if digested. Not just dogs and cats, even horses are susceptible if they eat Yew somehow. Therefore, it’s best to avoid Yew into your garden and eliminate if you already have one. 

Morning Glory 

Some species of morning glory have lysergic acid in their seeds, which is also a natural form of LSD. It can cause disorientation, hallucinations, tremors, and gastrointestinal problems in cats and dogs when consumed. To ensure the safety of your pets, do not plant this vining plant into your garden. If you already have one, make sure your pet does not consume the seed-containing flower. 

Tomato Plant 

To your surprise, most parts of tomato plants are also toxic to animals. However, the reactions are not severe if your pet has consumed vines, leaves, or stems of the plant. But the toxins can cause significant discomfort, including vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, and in worst cases, paralysis.

Aloe Vera 

The soothing properties of aloe vera are beneficial to humans in case of burns, irritation, and rashes. That’s probably the reason why you love aloe vera so much. But to dogs, it is not so kind and beneficial. So, if you have an aloe vera plant in your home, make sure you keep it out of the reach of your pets. Symptoms after eating aloe vera include diarrhea, depression, tremors, vomiting, a change in urine color, and anorexia.

Azaleas And Rhododendron

These popular and bright green shrubs are dangerous for dogs, cats, horses, sheep, and goats. When digested, the leaves of these plants can cause digestive problems like weakness, drooling, and loss of appetite.

The Bottom Line

Every cat or dog owner knows their pet will chew on anything they find attractive. Sooner or later, your pet friend will also make its way to the green heaven you have in your house for a bite or two. While you can’t keep your pet locked in your home, you can avoid planting these plants in your garden. If you still can’t part way with these plants, make sure they are not accessible to your furry friend. Also, if you notice any of the mentioned symptoms, whether they are severe or not, consult your vet immediately.